Do you know what excessive pride is? It is a sense of esteem and admiration that you have towards yourself that makes you believe that you are better than other people. In this article, we tell you why pride is a disease.
You have certainly met someone before who you would describe as “proud”. This person probably did not seem happier or did not like thinking that he / she was better than others. He or she may seem constantly stressed and anxious. But you will only notice it if you pay special attention.
In this article, we take a closer look at the unhealthy side of pride.
Stress that comes with excessive pride
You do not necessarily benefit from feeling proud. Even if one tries to be better than others, the truth is that behind a mask of pride they have very low self-esteem. It makes people:
- Compare yourself with others. They are always attentive and they compare themselves to others to confirm themselves in what they believe in.
- Hide their insecurities. Through pride, people hide their insecurities. Even though they behave as if they are superior to everyone else, they actually feel inferior deep inside.
- Let the anxiety overcome them. The stress that comes with excessive pride comes from the need to always be the center of attention. Furthermore, they can be very demanding of themselves in order for them to stand out and be superior to others.
While proud people may seem better than others, this is actually not the case as you can see. Under this attitude is a very fragile person who may have undergone a lot of pain.
What problems do you experience?
Now we need to take a closer look at what kind of problems one faces when one suffers from excessive pride. As you can see, these people are not happy. We need to take a closer look at why this is the case.
People with excessive pride are:
- Unable to admire others. When admiring others, one can aim to achieve more realistic goals. But when you want to be better than others, you always end up comparing yourself to others. But no matter what you do, there will always be a “better” one out there that you can compare yourself to.
- Unable to listen. They are often so eager to be the center of attention that it prevents them from listening to others. Therefore, this causes conflicts in their relationships because people around them think they are only talking about themselves.
- Unable to act without demonstrating their worth. They always try to prove themselves so they never relax or enjoy a single moment. Therefore, this prevents them from being happy with what they are doing, which is quite harmful.
Pride is a disease because it causes very deep problems
Many of those who suffer from excessive pride hide something that hurts them. Therefore, pride is a disease. They do this instead of solving their problems. They are actually exacerbating their problems.
People with excessive pride may ignore a problem for many years by camouflaging it with pride. This makes it even worse and makes them feel even more unhappy than they already are.
Even if one maintains this attitude for a long time, then pride is still a disease. Migraines, dizziness and stomach pains are all signs that something needs to change. This is called somatization of emotions.
Pride is not something that does not have a solution. But to fix the problem, one needs to know what to look for. Then one is able to solve the underlying cause of pride and seek help if one needs it.
Have you met someone who is very proud? Have you used pride to hide an insecurity inside?
Pride is a disease and it even has physical symptoms that have a deep origin. Your inner well-being, healthy self-esteem and serenity all have a big impact on your health.