In recent years, a healthy and balanced diet has become more important to many people. It is no longer strange to hear people talk about nutrition or be careful about what they eat. We’ve even added a lot of new words to the topic. Maybe you’ve heard people talk about water kefir, but do you know what it is?
In this article we will tell you everything you need to know about water kefir, from its use and benefits to how to make it at home! Do not miss it!
What is water kefir?
It is a beverage fermented through microbial cultures of the same name, also known as SCOBY ( Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast ).
That is, a colony of lactic and acetic acid bacteria, yeast, and microorganisms that work symbiotically on milk or water depending on whether one wants to make milk kefir or water kefir to get a fermented beverage.
In order for kefir to ferment the water, some nutrients must be dissolved in it, which will make it an optimal environment for the development of the microbial culture. We will talk more about it when we show you how to make this drink at home.
Benefits of and use of water kefir
You have probably asked yourself why it is good to drink water kefir. We will tell you about its main benefits and uses:
1. It’s probiotic
Water kefir contains living microorganisms, just like milk kefir and yogurt, which improve metabolic functions and help fight slow digestion. Since it is a fermented product, it is loaded with microorganisms that are beneficial to our microbiome.
2. It can improve your gut flora
By increasing the number of lactic acid bacteria in your intestines , you improve your intestinal flora and help your body eliminate pathogens. Because of that, you can enjoy healthier gut.
3. It has bactericidal properties
Some studies indicate that probiotics in kefir, Lactobacillus kefiri is one of them, can inhibit the growth of various bacteria in the body such as salmonella, E. coli and helicobacter pylory. On the other hand, the carbohydrate, kefiran, in kefir also has bactericidal properties.
4. It can lower cholesterol
There are currently not many studies of it, but some data indicate that this beverage can help improve or control the levels of bad cholesterol in your body.
Water kefir is an isotonic drink, which means it is perfect for hydrating the body. In addition, since it is low in calories, it can be included in one’s diet plans for weight loss.
Recipe for water kefir
Kefir grains have a smooth and jelly-like consistency reminiscent of cauliflower. Milk kefir grains are whitish, while water kefir grains are transparent.
It is important to know the difference in order to be able to use the correct culture for the fermented beverage you want to make. Let’s look at how to make this fermented beverage:
- 1 liter of water.
- 3 tablespoons cane sugar.
- 1/2 lemon (optional).
- 3 large tablespoons of water kefir grains.
- A large glass container with a large opening and a lid of plastic or glass (not metal).
- A wooden spoon.
Course of action
- First, pour the water into the glass container.
- Then add kefir grains, sugar and the lemon if you want to add a little more flavor.
- Stir well with the wooden spoon. You can also close the container and shake it.
- Then let the mixture stand for two or three days at room temperature (between 15 and 30 degrees Celsius). During the fermentation process, the kefir grains will eat the sugar and create organic acid that ferments the water.
- Enjoy your drink and its benefits!
General information about water kefir
- If you get it bottled, this fermented beverage can retain its nutritional characteristics for up to a year.
- Once opened, it should be stored in the refrigerator.
- As it does not contain dairy products, it is perfect for people with lactose intolerance and food allergies.
As you have seen, it is very easy to make water kefir. Why not try it and take advantage of its nutrients? Talk to a doctor for more information on kefir and its health benefits.
In addition, we also recommend that you talk to your doctor to find out if kefir is recommended, just in case you have any allergies or health issues that may be causing problems.