This type of diet, focusing on serotonin, will alleviate your worries about food. Then you can lose weight in a healthy way. The serotonin regimen is easy and comfortable to follow.
Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that is crucial to our mood and appetite. Therefore, a low serotonin level is the germ of depression and depressive periods. It is also the cause of the nervousness many feel in the afternoon where the body demands sweet things. These conditions can be remedied with the serotonin regimen.
It is very common to be able to stick to a healthy diet throughout the day, or follow a regimen we have chosen to shed a few pounds. But in the afternoon, we can often get a wild craving for two sweet things. And it can be very difficult not to fall for the temptation. This is due to a decrease in the level of serotonin.
The Serotonin Cure: Nutrition
In fact, there are no foods that are rich in serotonin or that contain it at all. But the amino acid tryptophan is the precursor to the neurotransmitter serotonin. So if you eat food that is rich in tryptophan, you can be sure to produce serotonin.
In addition to eating foods with tryptophan, it is also important that your diet contains vitamins C, B1, B6 and B12, calcium and zinc. This supports the conversion of tryptophan to serotonin.
Therefore, it is important that your diet includes things like whole grains, sardines in oil, nuts and seasonal vegetables. In addition, the formation of serotonin is activated by the presence of oxygen. So physical activity promotes its formation, and stimulates endorphins, which are naturally relaxing, and give the feeling of well-being.
Also read: 3 Unusual Strategies to Fight Insomnia
Examples of foods
Some of the foods that support a higher production of serotonin are the following:
- Fish: Many fish contain tryptophan, zinc, and omega-3 fatty acids, which stimulate the conversion to serotonin.
- Meat: This means especially the lean meats, such as chicken, turkey or rabbit, as they contribute tryptophans and B vitamins.
- Eggs: In this food, the yolk in particular is rich in tryptophan and various B vitamins.
- Milk: Dairy products provide tryptophan, calcium and magnesium.
- Legumes: For example, soybeans, beans and lentils contain a lot of tryptophan.
- Whole grain products: The carbohydrate content supports the conversion of tryptophan to serotonin. In addition, it is a good source of B vitamins.
- Nuts and kernels: Pistachios and almonds provide large amounts of tryptophan. Nuts are also rich in magnesium. At the same time, we get zinc from kernels such as pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and pine nuts.
- Fruits of the season: From here we get vitamins, calcium and magnesium. In particular, pineapples and bananas contain a lot of tryptophan.
- Seasonal vegetables: These contain magnesium, vitamins and carbohydrates, with a good glycemic index.
- Label Chocolate: It should always be eaten in limited amounts, but chocolate is a great way to increase the amount of tryptophan and magnesium.
You should also read: 7 Amazing Benefits Of Deep Breathing According To Science
How to naturally increase the amount of serotonin?
To support the serotonin regimen, one can take some small practical steps that strengthen the level of the neurotransmitter naturally. For example, diaphragmatic or abdominal breathing can in itself create changes in the brain. This is because it strengthens the secretion of hormones such as serotonin and endorphins. Furthermore, it benefits the setting of the impulses between the two halves of the brain.
In addition, you can do high-intensity training for at least 15 minutes a day, which strengthens serotonin levels. It is also good to perform relaxation exercises, such as yoga, which support the above abdominal breathing.
Being outside and getting sun on the body also helps the formation of serotonin. The sun is the key to getting the body to secrete serotonin. Therefore, preferably wear sunglasses in the winter so that your eyes can capture more sunlight. Also try to get some sun every day. It all combined gives us an everyday life with good with serotonin.
Finally, try to sleep for at least eight hours. Try to relax and get a good night’s sleep. This causes the level of serotonin and melatonin to stay adequate. If one does not sleep properly, the amount of these hormones changes and we get a much stronger hunger.