Although it may not look like that , our neck area is made up of many muscles. In fact, it is an area that has a lot of mobility. In this article we will talk about how you can strengthen your neck muscles with these neck exercises.
Neck exercises can prevent and solve a wide range of problems related to neck pain.
If you experience discomfort in your neck muscles, and if you often have headaches, you can try these exercises.
Exercises to strengthen your neck muscles
You should do these neck strengthening exercises at least 4 to 5 days a week. These are simple exercises that do not require much time and you can easily do them at home or at work.
1. Stretch the neck by bending the head to the side
In this neck exercise, we need to pull the muscles out in two ways as described below:
- Bend your head back and forth: Your chin should touch your chest and then push your head back as far as possible. Do the exercises slowly.
- Bend your head to the sides: Tilt your head to the right and then to the left as if you were trying to touch the shoulder with your ear. You should also do these exercises slowly.
2. Look to the page
We can also do this exercise in two different ways. The second way provides a better workout for our neck than the first. The exercise consists of looking to the right side and then to the left.
- Turn your head alternately to the right and left, as if trying to see yourself over the shoulder.
- Turn your head as much as possible.
- As a variation, you can tilt your head forward at the same time, as much as possible.
3. Circular movements
This is a popular exercise and it is great as a follow up after doing the previous exercises on our list. For this you just have to make circles using your head.
- The key is to make your circular motions as extended as possible. So make sure your head touches your shoulders, chest and bring it back as far as you can
- First , make circular motions to one side and then repeat it on the other side. As we mentioned in the first exercises, it is important to do these exercises slowly.
4. Shoulder pull
The best way to do this exercise is by using dumbbells or holding on to another type of weight. By doing so, you can strengthen your neck muscles even more.
- To do this exercise, you can stand up or sit down with your arms at your side and hold the dumbbells.
- In this position, raise your shoulders as much as possible without moving your head. Only your shoulders need to move.
- Hold this position and keep your shoulders upright for 5 seconds and then return to the starting position to repeat the exercise.
5. Neck bends on a bench
The last of our neck strengthening exercises on our list requires extreme caution. Lie face down on a bench or table.
- Your head should hang out of the bench and look at the floor.
- Place your hands behind your head as if you were going to do a sit-up. Let your head drop and then lift it again.
You can add a little pressure to your head by using your hands. By doing so, you can give your neck a better workout. You can sometimes add a weight if you want.
More good tips: How to get the most out of the exercises
The reason why it is important to do these neck exercises slowly is because one can get injured by moving too fast. However, you help prevent strain by applying a little heat to the area before doing the exercise.
- By doing so, you can warm up the area and prepare it for the exercises on our list.
- You should also take some preventative measures after you finish the exercises. This is especially important to do for those who tend to suffer from neck problems.
- Before applying heat to the area, get something cool on. By using cool temperatures you can reduce the inflammation as a result of the exercises and help your body recover.
You should inform your doctor if you do any of these exercises. He or she can tell you if it is better for you to skip a particular exercise or how hard you can work your neck.
By trying these neck exercises you can prevent many future problems. Have you started yet?