All parents feel particular concern about what their children eat. After all, diet plays an important role in health. For this reason, many feel the need to ensure particularly good nutrition for children in the summer, but they do not know how to do it.
Fortunately, it makes the task easier to have more free time and be able to buy fresh and healthy products. What should you keep in mind? In this article, we will share seven tips that you can apply in the summer.
1. Introduce new fruits
One of the good things about summer is the wide variety of fresh fruits that one can find in the supermarket. Most are refreshing, sweet and hydrating, which is perfect for the little ones.
This is therefore a good time to offer them it more often. Some children can be quite reluctant when it comes to food. Fortunately, there is a wide variety of recipes and dishes that one can make with them to facilitate their introduction into the baby’s diet.
For example, cold soups such as watermelon, gazpacho or melon cream are very popular in the summer. There are also other healthy and delicious options such as salad with, among other things, mango, pineapple, apple.
2. Vegetable puree and salad, an excellent choice to ensure good nutrition for children
Light, fresh recipes are great when it’s hot outside. For that reason, it is appropriate to swap cooked vegetables or hot soups out with other dishes.
Vegetables provide many nutrients. Their presence in a child’s diet is very important, as a frequent intake of them reduces the risk of suffering from certain diseases in adolescence.
Gazpacho or vichyssoise are two of the ideal dishes to ensure good nutrition for children in the summer. You can also try introducing new ingredients in pasta or salads with vegetables such as cucumber and peppers.
3. Homemade ice cream
Kids no doubt love ice cream, especially in the summer. However, most of them tend to contain large amounts of sugar and unhealthy fatty acids.
Fortunately, you can make homemade ice cream quite easily and quickly. You do not even have to buy specific tools to do this. Here are some tips:
- You can make delicious sorbet by blending your favorite fruits.
- If you are a fan of ice cream, you can make it with any kind of milk, yogurt or even avocado!
- It is also not necessary to add dyes or flavors. If you want it to taste of more, you can add cocoa, vanilla or blended fruits.
4. Encourage your child to attend the kitchen
We are aware that your everyday life is full of daily routines and tasks for both children and adults. Summer and holidays are therefore the ideal time to involve children in helping prepare meals.
Promoting their participation arouses their curiosity and interest in cooking. In addition, it also helps them develop their sense of taste and smell. And not only that, but it also increases the variety and quality of their diet as well as the number of new foods that they are willing to try to taste in the future.
You do not have to involve them in making difficult or complex dishes. It’s pretty simple: Ask them to wash the vegetables or mash some chickpeas to make hummus.
It’s about having fun and helping them develop their abilities according to their age. If you want, you can get carried away by your imagination and make them make easy but interesting combinations of foods.
5. Share meals with your children
Another good tip to ensure good nutrition for children in the summer is to have a good diet in the family, which serves as an example for your children. In general, parents tend to eat more vegetables than children and adolescents.
For that reason , it is important to be an example to them when it comes to eating healthy things.
It is important to consider some aspects.
- Sit down and eat with your children. Spend enough time with them – make the meal a nice moment.
- Place a wide variety of healthy foods (especially fruits and vegetables) in front of them.
- Do not force them to eat certain things as it may lead to restraint later. The best thing you can do is just offer things. It is a good idea to talk about the benefits of some vegetables so that they feel encouraged to eat them.
Light meals ensure good nutrition for children
In the summer, children spend a lot of their time playing and doing outdoor activities, which can reduce their appetite. High temperatures have actually been associated with a decrease in both the urge to eat, the metabolism and the enzyme activity associated with digestion.
As a consequence, it is better to choose recipes that are light, with few sauces, a little fat and with mild, easily digestible ingredients. Add nuts, fish, legumes or whole grains to make light dishes very nutritious solutions.
7. Make sure they get enough fluid
Temperatures can get quite high in the summer. Therefore, fluid intake should not be overlooked. Children have a higher percentage of body fluid compared to adults, and these fluids will need to be replaced more frequently.
Health experts always talk about the importance of drinking water during the day. Kids love to do outdoor activities at this time of year and tend to forget to go in for a while to rest and get hydrated.
It is important that all parents are aware of their children’s fluid intake. We have to note that not all beverages are the same when it comes to hydrating the body.
- Water and milk should be the first choice.
- Sugary drinks such as sodas or fruit juices are often rich in sugar and poor in nutrients. In addition, their intake is also associated with several cases of obesity and problems with the teeth.
- Forget about energy drinks, as their ingredients are not suitable for minors.
The keys to good nutrition for children in the summer
To ensure good nutrition for children in the summer, it is essential to encourage them to eat fruit and a variety of fresh foods. Remember to eat your meals at regular times and to offer fresh and light dishes. Your children will thank you!