Avocados are one of the most delicious and healthy fruits available and can be easily integrated into your normal diet. It can be difficult to judge whether an avocado is ripe, but in this article we will show you how to ripen avocados in minutes.
Most people visually distinguish between two varieties, but there are actually estimated to be 900 different varieties out there.
The most popular are the small Hass avocados, which are used to make guacamole and the “giant” avocado, which is often used to decorate various dishes.
In general, most people prefer these two varieties because they have a soft, creamy texture, along with a very unique taste that goes well with other foods.
And from a nutritional point of view, it is one of the most complete, energy-providing foods available. This is due to its essential fatty acids, proteins and antioxidants.
The only downside to them is that much of the time it is difficult to know when they are mature enough and ready to eat.
Most avocados are sold before they have even reached their perfect state. That’s why it’s good to know a few ways to speed up their maturation.
Below we will share how to ripen an avocado in a matter of minutes along with other tricks to do so within a few days.
Do not miss this!
How to ripen avocados in the microwave
It can take several days for an avocado to mature through its normal process, depending on how early it was harvested.
But if you need it to ripen soon, try this microwave method that will soften your avocado within minutes.
Before you start, keep in mind that this technique can change the natural taste a bit. But it will still be perfect for making guacamole, salads, smoothies and other recipes.
- Use a fork to press on the sides of the avocado several times.
- Place it on a plate with a napkin or plastic lid on top to prevent it from exploding in the microwave.
- Heat it for 30 seconds, and if it is still not soft enough, give it another 30 seconds.
- Let it cool a bit, then cut it up as usual.
How to ripen an avocado with tinfoil
You can also use tinfoil to ripen avocados in just a few minutes.
In this case, do not use the microwave, but instead place it on a baking sheet to cook it at 200 degrees.
- Use a good amount of tinfoil, and be sure to cover the entire avocado.
- Place it on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Wait until it has cooled completely, remove the paper and use it.
How to ripen avocado with a paper bag
A paper bag is great for accelerating avocado ripening as it traps ethylene gases.
This process takes longer than the previous two, but it has the advantage that it retains the taste and all the properties of the fruit.
- Place the avocado inside the paper bag and make sure there are no holes in it.
- Add an apple or a tomato to increase the production of ethylene gases.
- Close the bag and keep it at a temperature between 18 and 24 degrees C.
- Your avocado will be ready for consumption within a few days.
How to ripen an avocado that has been sliced in
If you have been so unlucky as to cut into an avocado that was still not ripe, do not forget to use this interesting trick before the flesh turns brown.
- Before wrapping it, pour a little lemon juice on the meat.
- Combine the two sections, leave the stone in, and wrap it in clear plastic wrap, as if it were a whole avocado.
- Place it in the refrigerator until it has reached the desired maturity.
How to ripen avocado with newsprint
Although this is one of the oldest techniques out there, it is still used in several households.
- Wrap the unripe avocado in a piece of newsprint and place it in a warm area such as on the stove with the oven off.
- Let it set for a few days, or until you notice it is softened.
Now you know how to ripen avocados even though they are still unripe when you buy them and still want to eat them before.
Choose any method you prefer and follow the instructions step by step to achieve good results.